Chapter 7
Chapter 7 (Monday, February 9th, after 6pm)
After walking in silence a bit, Luke decided the last mile wasn’t so steep, so he tried for conversation. “So what about you?” he asks.
“What about me?” replied AJ as she picked her way around a large boulder.
“Well, tell me about yourself.” Came the response.
“Ok. What do you want to know?” She watched the sinewy muscles of his calves and thighs scale the small ‘slot’ ahead.
“Family. Family should always come first, so why don’t you start there.,” he said in short bursts in between sips of water.
Stone motioned to Annie with the mouthpiece, but she shook her head. “Well, I’m the product of a happy marriage. My parents still live the same house my younger brother, Anthony, and I spent most of our childhood in. He served in the national guard, now he’s back living at home with our parents. He’s going back to school to become a civil engineer.”
“Good for him,” said Stone. “Now tell me about YOU. Where do you live now?”
Annie grinned sheepishly. “Oh. The
“Hmm,” was all Stone replied with. Luke’s reporter instincts wanted to ask her for more details, but he decided to let her tell the story in her own way, with whatever details she gave him. He could always ask for specifics later.
They turned the corner and reached the trailhead. They finally reached the parking lot, and it was after seven now.
- - - - -
Luke reached out for AJ’s arm and held it out in front of him. Turning her wrist over and looking at her watch, he says, “Guess we missed our dinner date. Do you want to go back and clean up? I don’t mind eating dressed like this if you don’t.”
At this point, Annie was happy to choose to feed her hunger over her vanity. “No, it’s fine by me. Let’s head straight to Brennecke’s. I’ve got a map in my car.” she states as she walks to the red Jeep in the lot.
Luke’s eyes pop with jealousy and his jaw drops when he sees SHE rented the jeep! “Wow – I’ve always wanted to rent one of these here, but never remember till twenty minutes after I’ve pulled out of the rental car lot and see one on the road.”
“Yeah. I’ve got a lot of fond memories riding around in one of these. My dad drove one when we were kids, and we used to love riding with it all opened up. You think you can help me roll the top down?”
Stone nodded and walked to the opposite side of the Jeep.
“The sky is painted such beautiful colors right now, and I just don’t want to miss it.” Annie wants the top down even though she knows her braid will get all wind blown on the drive back. With a smile that lit up her eyes, she thanked Stone and hopped into the driver’s seat when he held her door for her. As he went to get in his car, she looked to the Western sky. The colors were so incredible here in Kauai, she marvelled as they drove down
The sun was getting ready to set as she followed his
- - - - -
They got an oceanview window table for their late dinner at Brennecke’s. It would have been a great spot to enjoy the sunset. The waitress came by promptly and introduced herself as Leilani. With a knowing look on her face, she asked, “Hungry hikers, are ya?” Annie and Luke nodded.
“Did you have a good trip then?” she asked in a friendly way, as she set two glasses of ice water on the table.
Annie and Luke could only nod as they both look long thirsty gulps of water.
“What trail did you go on?” asked Leilani, as she handed them each a menu.
Annie set her glass down first. “Oh, we hiked the Nualolo Trail today… up in
“Oh, my – the Nualolo Trail? My personal favorite.” Luke looked up at Leilani, just as Annie did. Leilani got a faraway look in her eyes.
She smiled down at the two sitting at the table and explained, “My husband proposed to me out on that trail, oh, almost six years ago.”
How romantic, thought Annie.
“At the vista?” Luke asked Leilani.
The waitress cocked her head to one side, fondly remembering the details. “No, actually it wasn’t on the Nualolo itself. Just a little bit along the Cliff trail. We did stay at the vista a while, then he told me we were going to try the Cliff trail. It had been a rainy week, you see, and parts of that trail can get washed out. All was fine till he sped up and lost me in the plant maze. When I found him, he was down on one knee in a little clearing with the most amazing view behind him. You’d never believe how beautiful it is out on that little spot of the trail.” Leilani’s eyes closed and her smile grew wide.
Annie’s eyes start to tear up. “Yes, I would believe the view! That’s exactly where he just took me!” Annie said excitedly, as she pointed across the table to Stone.
“Oh, are y’all newlyweds?” Leilani asked curiously, looking from Luke to Annie, who both shook their heads, a startled look on both their faces. “No. Hmm – sure have the look of love about you both!”
“No, actually,” said Stone as Annie gazed right into his stormy gray eyes, “we just met today at the Sheraton, made plans to meet here for dinner at 7, then went our separate ways.” He took a sip of his water. “We happened to both be at the vista at the same time, hours after we split.” His eyes locked with AJ’s.
“See,” said Leilani, “it’s kismet. You’re supposed to be together!”
To Luke’s surprise, AJ blushed at Leilani’s comment. Odd, he was in total agreement with Leilani – he and AJ did belong together.
“Tell you what – I’ll bring you two lava flows, on me. Look over the menu and see what grabs you.
Annie looked over at Stone. From the look on his face, he was actually considering the waitress’ advice. Whether it was the advice on the fish, or on the relationship, well, that she didn’t know. But she wondered.
Leilani came back with two very large and tasty looking drinks, which she held up for them to see. “Lava flows, house specialty. Hope you like rum. These are made with our secret blend pina colada, then a bit of strawberry dacquiri gets swirled in – for the lava. Enjoy.” She set down the two glasses on the table.
Annie ordered the grilled ahi, and Luke ordered the seared mahimahi. “Good choices, both. I’ll bring your salads out shortly,” said Leilani before she turned away.
“So, back to getting to know you. Tell me more,” Luke asked of AJ, as he watched her sip her Lava Flow.
“Such as?” Annie asked, licking a bit of strawberry off her lip.
Luke had to turn his eyes away. Just seeing the tip of her pink tongue dart innocently out of her seductive mouth like that and he was ready to clear the table with one swipe of his arm and take her right there. He let out the breath he was holding. “Your favorites, maybe, AJ?” His eyes were still looking off to his left, down at the floor.
Annie sipped her drink again as she glanced at the floor, trying to see what had caught Stone’s rapt attention. “Favorites? Like, my favorite movie, color, song, sport – that sort of thing?”
“Yeah, whatever you wanna share,” he said, still looking down.
Whatever he’d been looking at, Annie couldn’t see it. “Ok. My favorite movie…” she looked into her half empty glass. Half empty? Whoa! I better slow down with this! Maybe if I talk more, I’d drink less, especially on an empty stomach. Something tells me I need my wits about me tonight. Annie’s train of thought had taken a sharp left turn.
Stone’s rumbling laughter made her look up.
“Your favorite movie?” he prodded. “You look like you fell asleep in the middle of your sentence there.” He smiled at her, and she admired the way the dimple in his chin hid when he smiled.
“My favorite movie is ‘Something about Mary.” As Stone’s eyebrows rose in surprise, she continued. “It just made me laugh so hard – I love when a movie can do that. Life is funny too, but sometimes the movies capture it so well…”
Before AJ drifted off again, Luke shot another question her way. “Okay. Favorite color?”
“That’s too hard,” replied AJ with a wave of her hand.
Interesting, observed Luke. “Why?” he asked.
“Well, that depends.” was her short reply. “Depends on what?” Now Luke was intrigued, and he pressed her for more.
AJ looked up into his eyes and smiled. “What the color I’m choosing is for. If it’s for clothes, then what piece of clothing? Is it for me to wear, or for someone else? A yellow sweater, for me, sure. Yellow running shoes for mom, not so much.” She looked up and nodded in thanks as Leilani set down their salad plate in front of them.
Annie picked up her fork and continued speaking while Stone ate his salad. “Or is it choosing a paint color? Then which room are you painting? Or maybe it’s make-up? Purple eyes, yes. Purple nails, maybe. Purple lips, never. Choosing food color? Is it for the frosting or the filling?”
Before she could continue, Stone held up a hand and interrupted her. “Wait – you pick colors for your food? Why”
“Oh, sorry – it’s a job hazard. Yes, I pick the colors of my frosting and fillings to complement each other.” As if that explained it all, she filled her fork with salad and took an hungry bite.
“What exactly do you do?” asked Stone, just as she’d gotten a mouthful. Figures.
Annie chewed and swallowed the bite she’d taken. “I’m a chef. Actually, my specialty was sweets, and so I became a dessert chef.” She took another bite.
“Where do you work?” he asked, politely waiting this time till she was almost done chewing.
“All over
Again, that was too vague an answer for Luke’s liking. So he pressed her for more details. “Anyplace I might dine in
She set down fork on her almost empty salad plate. “Well, I float around the Sheratons, where they need me most. Currently, I’m splitting my time between the O’Hare Sheraton and the one downtown.” She picked up her fork again. “That’s why I’m staying at the Poipu Sheraton, you know.” she said between bites. “You wouldn’t believe the employee discount I get. You’d probably faint if you knew what I was paying for my ocean view room…” She pushed the empty salad plate away from her and grinned up at Stone.
“How much?” inquired Luke pensively.
“$99 a night.” she said with a cheshire grin.
“No shit!” Luke cringed inwardly. “What a deal. Those rooms had to go for, what, at least 400 a night?”
“Yeah, probably,” pondered Annie. “Of course I’d never be staying in the room I’ve got if I had to pay full price for it.”
Yeah, he silently agreed. Tell me about it!
Leilani cleared the salad plates, then set down their fish. “Enjoy. Some more Lava Flows?” she pointed to their empty glasses. They both shook their heads. “Okay. Enjoy your dinner.” Annie and Luke ate their dinner without another word to one another, not for lack of conversation – they were just that hungry.
After the last bite, Luke wiped his mouth and set his napkin down. “So, you wanted some of my pictures from out on the vista?” he asked as he watched AJ fold her napking before setting it aside.
“Yes, I did. Thanks for bringing that up. Were you going to have prints made locally, or were you gonna wait till you got home?” Annie didn’t want to push it – she didn’t want him to change hismind.
“Either way, whichever is better for you, AJ.” Luke looked at her with such intesity, that she had to turn away from.
“I wouldn’t mind having them while I’m here – I’d love to send a few out with letters back home. Anthony would be jealous. What do I owe you for them?” she asked as she refolded her napkin.
“Well,” he says as Leilani brought the bill, “you could let me take you to dinner” He held up the small folder in his hand and gave it a gentle wiggle.
“Wow, I, well, wow. Thank you.” stuttered Annie. “I didn’t expect you to. We could go dutch, you know.”
He laughed and his eyes sparkled. “I haven’t gone dutch since eighth grade. No, mom taught me it’s proper to always pay for a lady’s dinner, even more so if she’s lovely and her company is most enjoyable.” The spark in his eyes intensified again.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home