My Novel Approach

***CLICK ON NOVEMBER 2005 IN THE ARCHIVES- YOU CAN READ ALL THE CHAPTERS IN ORDER ON ONE PAGE.*** *This is my novel. It's a romance novel set in Kauai. Hope you enjoy it. If you'd like to share your comments, please leave a comment on the post you're referencing.

Friday, December 16, 2005

A late start

It's November 14th, just about midway through the month of November.

I've just signed up with National Novel Writing Month. So it's a little late to start writing a 50,000 word novel that, in order to count for this month of madness, has to be completed by Midnight on November 30th.

Never mind the fact that this month is chockfull busy enough without my adding some sort of impossible challenge on top of it all. Not like I don't have enough with the fundraiser and the boards at church. Not like I don't have fincancial books to prepare. Not like I don't have birthdays to plan for, shop for, and have a party for. Not like our house isn't in the middle (isn't it always?!?!) of remodeling. Not like we're not having Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Not like we won't have family coming to stay the weekend. Not like I don't have a million things to do around the house. Not like I don't have to visit my dad in the hospital. Not like I don't already have obligations pulling me to the ends of the earth... oh, no. I signed up for more self-inflicted torture.

So sue me. Or whatever other euphamism you prefer. I thought it sounded like fun. And even if I don't make the 50,000 count - at least I can say I tried. Maybe my personal goal will be to hit 25,000 and then try the full count next year. Who knows. This is just for the fun of it. I keep telling myself that, I just may believe it.
Okay. I started this blog on Monday November 14th, 2005. It's now Thursday the 17th. I've gone back and edited the first four chapters today, so I reposted them. I also am posting them on the wrong day, so that the 10 previous posts go in order, the way they should be read, instead of backwards. The posts are listed by most recent, so I put chapter one as the most recent and I'm posting backwards from there (Nov 15). If it's beyond 10 posts, and you want to start at the beginning of the novel, you'll be able to do that.
So that's that. Four days of writing, and I have over 15000 words. With the extended notes I've got beyond the full chapters I've written so far, I've got 20,000 words. Once I 'convert' my note format into novel script, I may have 25,000. So, yay, I may be half way there. I haven't posted them just yet, but I have chapters five and six done.
I've also decided to change the length of time that the book spans. Instead of stretching the romance out over weeks or months, I'm making this a whirlwind romance. Love at first sight is not an uncommon theme, so I've got a 48 hour whirlwind romance/affair-cum-relationship.
I'm considering titling the book "48 Hours to Fall in Love." Others: "Can You Fall In Love In Just One Day?" or "Kismet in Kauai"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home